NEWS & EVENTS
* April 2021 The short story "My life as a green balloon" is published by Spillwords https://spillwords.com/my-life-as-a-green-balloon/
* March 2021 "Kenavo" published
*February 2021 - I've published "Fallen leaves " (collected poems); "My life as a green balloon & other effusions (short stories & memoirs); and a short book, "REFLECTIONS ON THE PLAGUE YEAR"
*December 2020 - I've started to do my own publishing using KindleCreate, which takes a bit of getting used to. I'm grateful for many years of help from PublishNation. It has enabled me to publish "Empty lands", Sunrise, sunset" and "No stranger on the shore" quite quickly. But though they are available now on Amazon in paperback and Kindle formats, I'm going to take a while to publicise them. I'm concentrating on "Murder in a time of plague" in the period up to Christmas.
*October 2020 - I've also started a new series of books set in the middle of the 17th century, with a Puritan detective. The first is "The murders at the Putney debates", set in 1647, but the first one I'm publishing, for topical reasons, is "Murder in a time of plague", set during the Great Plague of London in 1665.
* October 2020 - I've now finished publishing detective stories set in Customs & Excise, but am continuing to publish "Nick and Rosemary" detective stories after their retirement. "Murder at the Baltic Beach Hotel", "Death on the Volga" and "The Body in the Marine Buildings" are the first three, "Between the mountains and the sea" (set in the borders of Liguria and Tuscany) will be published shortly, followed by "Empty Lands"
*September 2019 - "The Body in the Marine Buildings" has been published in the USA by Beacon Publishing.
*June 2018 - "The Corridors of Secrecy (aka Chinese Whispers)" published. 1984/5. Nick Storey is asked to review Cabinet office security. Told their is someone leaking to the Chinese, he is thwarted until a botched heroin investigation in Liverpool gives him a way of identifying the route used to smuggle microfilm out of the country. Rosemary carries out surveillance in London's Chinatown and eventually a microfilm is recovered at Tilbury. What happens afterwards makes a corkscrew look straight.
April 2018 - "Ballad of a Thin Man" published. Nick is seconded to review social security fraud but ends up with Rosemary in Newcastle chasing a fraud using bogus National Insurance numbers, run by a local businessman with "a couple of big lads" who seem to be intent on dropping Nick and Rosemary down a disused pit shaft.
January 2018 - "On a carousel" published. In charge of a newly established internal affiars unit, Nick is told about an investigation operation aimed at attracting criminal gangs to commit VAT fraud which is allowing £100ms of tax to go missing. Bringing it to the attention of the Board makes him unpopular and when the story leaks to the press, the follow-up enquiries even threaten Rosemary's life and Nick and her liberty.
December 2017 - "Magic Clarinet" published. job-shadowing at a small tobacco factory, Nick comes across discrepancies in the records and lax controls by the local Excise Officer. Thwarted by what he believes is a Masonic conspiracy, he arranges for suspect freight to be kept under surveillance and then seized. What happens next is horrendous and requires some very sharp moves to avoid more deaths, while tackling the fraud.
November 2017 - "Copper Kettle" published. 1978, while on holiday in Oban, Scotland, Nick and Rosemary and their daughters come across a hut fill of barrels of illicit whisky. Further investigation ends up with a game of cat and mouse around the Scottish islands with the smugglers and a dangerous attempt at revenge
* September 2017 - "Kisses sweeter than wine" published. 1977/8. A vague claim that English wine producers are using foreign grapes, followed by an explosion at an English vineyard, leads to the discovery of a clandestine route for smuggling cash for political purposes and a gunfight at Avonmouht docks
*May 2017 - "Fools Copper (not to be confused with Ghost Beer)" published. 1977. Nick and Rosemary are compelled to investigate a fraud against EEC fundsinvolving a copper min in Snowdonia. At the same time, large quantities of undutied "ghost" beer is being discovered. On an investigative trip to North Wales, Nick and Rosemary are shot at and the main person involve din the fraud was killed several months previously. Digging out bits and pieces of information lead to a surprising conclusion in a deserted farmhouse in Cwn Ystradllyn.
*December 2016 - "Our friends in the south" published. 1976. Nick & Rosemary Storey are back in London, investigating a warehouse fraud, which after a brutal murder, becomes a lot more sinister.
* November 2016 - "By Water 5 Full Circle" published. The final volume in the "By Water" saga, Also includes 1 "A journey from death", 2 "Uncharted lands", 3 "Journeys from and to", 4 "Journeys of hardship and hope". All published during 2016, as a follow-up to "Through Fire".
* September 2016 "Brussels Sprout" published. 1975. Nick and Rosemary Storey are still in Brussels, investigating a fraud on EEC funds, which leads to a violent Vietnamese connection.
* April 2016 - "Heard it on the Grapevine published. Nick & Rosemary Story, working in the EEC, investigate wine fraud
January 2016 - I am starting to publish "By Water" the follow-up to "Through Fire". It comprises 5 volumes. The first of which will be available by the end of January.
Summer 2015 - "Murder at the Baltic Coast Hotel" published
Autumn 2015 "A well-respected man", "Nothing was delivered" and "Something in the air" published. These take the stories of Nick & Rosemary Storey in Customs & Excise from 1965 to 1970, the beginning of "Bankers' Draught"
January 2015 - final volume of "Through Fire" published
Spring 2015 - "Along the Watchtower", another Customs & Excise detective story published
October 2014 - "Bankers' Draught" - detective story set in Customs & Excise, involving VAT fraud in the City and the Northern Ireland "troubles" published
From June 2014, I'm publishing "Through Fire" in 7 volumes, available on Amazon in both paperback and e-book forms. This novel took me 30 years to write and is, in literary terms, what I regard as my life's work.
I'm a title. Click here to edit me.
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It’s easy. Just click “Edit Text” or double click me and you can start adding your own content and make changes to the font. Feel free to drag and drop me anywhere you like on your page. I’m a great place for you to tell a story and let your users know a little more about you.